Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
|Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law|
|Dean||Gary R. Roberts|
|Location||Indianapolis, IN, US|
|Outlines||5 (See List)|
The Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (IU McKinney) is located on the campus of Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana. The law school is one of two law schools operated by the Indiana University system, the other being the Indiana University Maurer School of Law (IU Maurer). Although both law schools are part of Indiana University, each law school is wholly independent of the other.
With an enrollment of approximately 1,000 students, IU McKinney is the largest law school in the state of Indiana. In the summer of 2001, the school moved to its award winning new building, Lawrence W. Inlow Hall. Of the 190 ABA-accredited law schools evaluated for its 2012 edition (released March 15, 2011), U.S. News & World Report ranked the school 79th overall, eighth in legal writing, and eleventh in healthcare law. In 2010, based on the number of graduates selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers magazine, that publication ranked the school 44th out of 180 law schools considered.
Formerly known as the Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis, the school's name was changed in December 2011 in recognition of a $24 million gift from Robert H. McKinney, who previously served and as chairman and CEO of First Indiana Corporation and is among the founders of Bose McKinney & Evans LLP, one of the largest law firms in Indianapolis.
History[edit | edit source]
The Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law traces its origins to the late nineteenth century when the first of its private predecessor schools, the Indiana Law School, began operating in 1894. A full-time day school, the Indiana Law School was part of a newly formed University of Indianapolis that also included Butler University, the Medical College of Indiana and the Indiana Dental School. All three professional schools later became part of Indiana University. Among the first trustees of the school were former United States President, Benjamin Harrison, and Indiana industrialist, Eli Lilly.
In 1898, a second predecessor school, the Indianapolis College of Law, was founded, offering a two-year evening program. This school, located in the Pythian Building in downtown Indianapolis, was advertised in 1906 as “known everywhere for its successful graduates,” and boasted a tuition of $10 per term. A few years later, another evening school, the American Central Law School, was established. In 1914, the Indianapolis College of Law and American Central Law School merged to become Benjamin Harrison Law School, which was also an evening school. And in 1936 the Benjamin Harrison Law School and the Indiana Law School merged, taking the name of the latter, and offering both day and evening programs.
In 1944, the Indiana Law School affiliated with Indiana University, becoming the Indianapolis Division of the Indiana University School of Law. Beginning the following year, the school was housed in the Maennerchor Building, an architectural landmark in Indianapolis. The school gained autonomy in 1968, becoming the Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis, the largest law school in the state of Indiana and the only law school in the state to offer both full- and part-time programs. The school moved into a new building at 735 West New York Street in 1970 where it remained until moving to Lawrence W. Inlow Hall, located at 530 West New York Street, in May 2001.
On December 1, 2011, the law school was renamed as the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in recognition of the largest gift ever received by the school and one of the largest in legal education.
Law Reviews[edit | edit source]
Indiana Law Review[edit | edit source]
The Indiana Law Review is a legal periodical edited and managed by students of the law school. Each year, the Law Review publishes one volume, which consists of four issues. Generally, the first three issues contain two to four lead articles and three to five student Notes. The fourth issue is the final and longest issue of each year. The Survey of Recent Developments in Indiana Law contains fifteen to twenty articles written by professors and Indiana practitioners summarizing the significant changes and developments in Indiana law during the prior year (October to October).
Indiana Health Law Review[edit | edit source]
The Indiana Health Law Review addresses issues related to bioethics, malpractice liability, managed care, anti-trust, health care organizations, medical-legal research, legal medicine, food and drug, and other current health-related topics. The Law Review was first published in the 2004-2005 academic year.
Indiana International & Comparative Law Review[edit | edit source]
The Indiana International & Comparative Law Review (II&CLR) is published semi-annually and has been published continuously since 1991. The II&CLR is devoted to the study and analysis of current international legal issues and problems.
European Journal of Law Reform[edit | edit source]
The European Journal of Law Reform was launched in 1998 to provide a forum for interdisciplinary debate on proposals for law reform and the development of private and public international law in Europe. The Journal is jointly edited by faculty of IU McKinney, the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (University of London), and the University of Basel School of Law in Switzerland, with the assistance of a team of student editors from the II&CLR.
Centers[edit | edit source]
Center for Intellectual Property Law and Innovation[edit | edit source]
The Center for Intellectual Property Law and Innovation is a new addition to IU McKinney and draws on the expertise of both Purdue University and Indiana University, with strong ties to the highly acclaimed IU Medical Center and the IU Kelley School of Business. By developing resources and providing instruction in intellectual property law and related transactional areas, the Center will make important and practical contributions to the growth, development, and protection of innovation.
William S. and Christine S. Hall Center for Law and Health[edit | edit source]
IU McKinney houses the William S. and Christine S. Hall Center for Law and Health. The Center for Law and Health was established in 1987 to conduct legal and empirical research on health law issues in Indiana and the nation. The Center houses the Indiana Health Law Review, a new law review established to focus specifically on health care law and policy.
U.S. News & World Report has consistently included the Law School in its list of top ten health law programs. Located in downtown Indianapolis, the Center is near several major pharmaceutical firms, many of the state's leading medical centers, health insurers, and health law firms, and the health agencies of state government. The Center's proximity to these institutions has enabled it to become a major contributor to state and national health law and policy development. The Center is also located on the same campus as the Indiana University School of Medicine and the Indiana University Bioethics Center, allowing for significant interdisciplinary research on health law and policy issues.
Center for International and Comparative Law[edit | edit source]
The Center for International and Comparative Law is the nucleus for all of the law school's international law programs, including two international related law reviews. The Indiana International & Comparative Law Review was launched in 1991, devoted to the study and analysis of current international legal issues and problems. The European Journal of Law Reform was launched in 1998 to provide a forum for interdisciplinary debate on proposals for law reform and the development of private and public international law in Europe. That journal is jointly edited by faculty of IU McKinney, the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (University of London), and the University of Basel School of Law in Switzerland, with the assistance of a team of student editors from the II&CLR.
Notable faculty[edit | edit source]
The Ruth Lilly Law library[edit | edit source]
The Ruth Lilly Law Library is one of the largest legal research libraries in the United States, housing a collection of over 600,000 volumes (in hard copy, microform, cassettes, and other non-book media). The Ruth Lilly Law Library is one of the early United States government publications depositories. It is also a full depository of the United Nations, both for regular documentation and for U.N. mimeographed documents. Additionally, it includes a 20,000-volume Commonwealth collection.
Alumni[edit | edit source]
The law school has over 10,000 alumni located in every state in the nation and several foreign countries. Former Vice President Dan Quayle and his wife, Marilyn, are among the school's list of famous alumni. Others include United States Senators Frederick Van Nuys, Arthur Raymond Robinson, Samuel D. Jackson, and Dan Coats, Indiana governors Harry G. Leslie and Edgar Whitcomb, Transportation Security Administration administrator John S. Pistole, and U.S. Representative and former Secretary of State of Indiana Todd Rokita
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- USNWR Best Law Schools Specialty Rankings | http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/legal-writing | accessdate=2011-02-18
- Super Lawyers Law School Rankings | http://www.superlawyers.com/toplists/lawschools/united-states/2010/ | accessdate=2011-02-18
- Law School Headlines | http://indylaw.indiana.edu/news/current.cfm?nid=567 | accessdate=2011-12-01
- Law School About Page | http://indylaw.indiana.edu/admissions/about.htm | accessdate=2011-02-16