Brooklyn Law School
|Brooklyn Law School|
|School type||Private non-profit|
|Dean||Joan G. Wexler|
|Location||Brooklyn, NY, US|
|Outlines||10 (See List)|
The school was founded in 1901 by William Payson Richardson and Norman Haffey. It opened with 18 students. The school is noted for its diversity. Photographs indicate that by 1909, African Americans and women attended the school. The school was affiliated with St. Lawrence University from 1903 to 1943. In that year, the university decided to close the law school, but faculty and alumni bought it and Brooklyn Law became an independent institution. The school moved into its current home at 250 Joralemon Street in 1969.
In August 2005, Brooklyn Law School opened Feil Hall, which provides luxury apartments for 360 students. Feil Hall also houses the new "Geraldo's Cafe," named for famous alumnus Geraldo Rivera. Geraldo's is a coffee and snack bar that also serves as a student lounge. Brooklyn Law School owns nine brownstone buildings in the surrounding neighborhood which provide additional housing for students.
According to the Leiter Report, a compendium of law school rankings published by Brian Leiter, Brooklyn Law School places 31st for quality of students and a runner-up for top 30 for faculty. See this link. The ranking for faculty is based on a survey of faculty from other institutions; the ranking for students is based on GPA and LSAT scores. In the 2008 U.S. News and World Report ranking, BLS places 60th, on par with the University of Kentucky, the Illinois Institute of Technology, Temple University, the University of Houston, and Villanova University. See this link. The US News ranking emphasizes entering student Law School Admission Test scores and Grade Point Average.