Difference between revisions of "Fenwick & West"
m (1 revision imported: Mass import from wikipedia.org)
Revision as of 01:03, September 28, 2017
Template:Use mdy dates Template:Infobox law firm Fenwick & West LLP is a law firm of more than 300 attorneys with offices in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, and Shanghai. The firm's practice focuses on technology companies and start-ups. Fenwick's lawyers are divided among four primary practice groups, with numerous subgroups within each: Corporate, Litigation, Tax and Intellectual Property. It is ranked as one of the 100 largest law firms in the United States, and is one of the most prestigious and selective law firms according to American Lawyer magazine. Fenwick has worked on a variety of high-profile matters for clients such as Facebook, Google, Uber, Airbnb, Fitbit, Dropbox, Apple, WhatsApp, and Cisco.
In 2008, IP Business & Law listed Fenwick as one of only 20 "go to law firms on the cutting edge of patent litigation," and in 2011, Global Law Experts named Fenwick & West the #1 antitrust law firm.
Larry Kramer, dean of Stanford Law School, told Bloomberg Businessweek that Fenwick "is one of the great indigenous firms of Silicon Valley," noting that "[the firm] understands how the Valley works better than most, everything from how to raise money, where to incorporate, and how to nurture and grow a startup."
Prior to taking Facebook public in 2012, American Lawyer said, "Fenwick’s work was critical in allowing the social media company to stay private for so long." The firm's patent prosecution team brought Facebook in as an intellectual property client a few months before their corporate colleagues in 2007.
"Where many big firms have eschewed patent prosecution as commodity work that goes to the lowest bidder, Fenwick has embraced it as central to the mission of its technology and life sciences clients and start-ups whose small IP portfolios can be the crown jewels of their business."
- Fenwick announces a new version of the Series Seed Documents on GitHub, curated by Fenwick Partner Ted Wang.
- Fenwick is the #1 issuer adviser on IPOs both globally and in the United States; in the U.S., the firm handled 41 percent of the IPO market by volume and globally, Fenwick handled 17 percent
- Fenwick represents Facebook in its $1 billion purchase of Instagram
- Fenwick represents Facebook in its IPO, the largest Internet IPO in U.S. history
- Pro bono counsel to Democratic Underground in Righthaven LLC v. Democratic Underground LLC, which is widely regarded as a legal victory against copyright trolls and called Copyright Case of the Year by Managing Intellectual Property
- Handles VeriSign's $21 billion acquisition of Network Solutions, the largest internet merger in history
- Apple Computer: Apple was a very early client of the firm; the firm advised Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak on the incorporation of the company and also advised Apple on the creation of the first shrinkwrap license agreement in 1976.
- Amazon.com: Fenwick defended the 1-Click patent for Amazon.
- eBay: Fenwick advised eBay on its IPO.
- Facebook: In 2012, Fenwick & West represented Facebook in the largest tech IPO in history. Fenwick also advised Facebook on its acquisition of Instagram in 2013.
- Oracle: Fenwick advised Oracle on its IPO.
- Wang Laboratories: Created the first clean room protocols for software, which later became an industry standard to prevent IP infringement.
- Virgin America: Fenwick advised the airline on its initial rounds of debt and equity financing in 2007.
- Stone, Brad Why Techies Like to Friend Fenwick & West - BusinessWeek, Bloomberg Businessweek (April 7, 2011)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- (October 7, 2011). Fenwick Named 2011 California Antitrust Law Firm of the Year (Press release). Fenwick & West.
- Fenwick & West and Simpson Thacher lead as Facebook takes US listing,
- Ross, Todd Knocking Out the Competition: How Fenwick & West won the world’s most high-profile IPO, The American Lawyer (June 2012)
- Rosen, Ellen Weil Advises Facebook as WhatsApp Uses Fenwick: Business of Law, (February 20, 2014)
- Kolodny, Lora Seeking Seed Funding? Open-Source Forms Might Cut Legal Bill, (June 3, 2013)
- Bloomberg 2012 Global Legal Advisor League Tables, (January 2, 2012)
- Facebook To Buy Instagram for $1 Billion in Biggest Acquisition Yet, (April 9, 2012)
- Facebook Will Have The Biggest Tech IPO Ever, Raising $16 Billion With $38 Share Price, (May 17, 2012)
- Masnick, Mike, Judge Rules That Righthaven Lawsuit Was A Sham; Threatens Sanctions. June 14, 2011.
- Green, Steve, Ruling that Righthaven misled court likely to be felt in other cases. July 14, 2011.
- Anderson, Nate, Righthaven learning it can't change the facts after it sues. July 14, 2011
- Opsahl, Kurt, Righthaven Ordered to Pay $5,000 in Sanctions for Its Misrepresentations to Court. July 15, 2011.
- North America Awards winners revealed, (March 29, 2012)
- Young, Eric Fenwick’s Flex sweats the small stuff, (October 3, 2010)
- "Extending Their Domain", ALM Media, LLC, New York City, April 2000.
- Fenwick & West guides Virgin's US entry, The Lawyer (August 29, 2007)